About the Friends - who we are and what we do
Friend's Mission Statement
The mission of Friends of Grayson Highlands State Park, Incorporated is to identify and promote activities to preserve, conserve, and enhance the natural, historical, cultural, scenic, educational and recreational resources of the Park
Projects the Friends of Grayson Highlands State Park has supported:
within the park.
- Yearly financial assistance with canoe, adventure & junior rangers, dog show, Easter Egg Hunt, Youth Conservation Corps programs. These programs promote an awareness and appreciation of nature in the public, particularly our youth, and encourage positive stewardship for future generations.
- Maintained garden designated as a Monarch Way Station & purchased additional plant signs and plants.
- Recycled aluminum and plastic at park festivals, and act as an outreach to other groups interested in recycling.
- Offer t-shirts with the Friends’ logo for sale to promote our organization and raise funds for projects.
- Maintain a plaque displayed in the Visitor’s Center, recognizing outstanding contributors who donate $500 or more.
- Upgraded and maintained a public website (www.graysonfriends.org/) for park and friends information.
- Maintained a weather station and upgraded the video web cam to provide current weather information via our website.
- Assisted with food sales during the Lottery Hunt.
- Provided funding for materials for an interactive resource room at the Visitor Center.
- Provided annual staff and volunteer appreciation meal.
- Assisted with the Blue Ridge Relay Endurance Race to promote the park and raise funds for projects.
- Purchased new sleeping bags, tents and ground covers for Adventure Ranger program.
- Purchased field game equipment (soccer balls, hula hoops, disc golf, volleyball and horseshoes) that can be checked out at the country store for use in the Hickory Ridge Campground.
- Printed new Trail Guide Booklets to provide information about the trails within the park.
- Purchased additional crash pads for use by bouldering enthusiasts.
- Purchased a storage building to assist with safe keeping of bouldering pads, Adventure Ranger backpacking equipment and park items.
- Coordinated the purchase of cigarette urns for proper disposal of cigarette butts.
- Member of Virginia Association For Parks which support legislative efforts on behalf of Virginia’s parks